Written by Barney Buckley
Email Address – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Title: Ebirah: Horror of the Deep / Godzilla Versus the Sea Monster
- Directed by: Jun Fukuda
- Produced by: Tomoyuki Tanaka
- Japanese Release Date:
- US Release Date: Released in 1969 runtime is 89 minutes
- Taglines: This is one lobster you won’t want to order!
A fisherman named Yata winds up missing after the boat he is working on sinks. His younger brother Ryota decides to search for him, but when the authorities refuse to help him he tries to enter a dance contest to win a boat to go search for Yata. When Ryota arrives at the contest he finds out he is too late by a few days, but meets up with two contestants who had already been eliminated named Nita and Ichino. The three youths then head for the marina to look at different boats. After they board one, they meet a rifle toting man named Yoshimura, whom they assume is the owner. However, he is a bank robber who is using the boat to hide out.
After a few minutes, Yoshimura decides to let the youths stay the night. The next morning they wake up to find out that Ryota has set sail with them on it to search for his brother. A few days into their trip they are caught in a storm and as the boys try to keep the boat from sinking they see a giant claw emerge from the water. The next morning they wake up on Lechti Island, which serves as the base for a group of international terrorists called Red Bamboo, who have a heavy water factory on the island. They also observe as a boat belonging to the group arrive with slaves from Infant Island, the home of Mothra. Some of the natives try to make a break for it, but they are caught and eaten by the same monster that wrecked the boy’s boat, a giant lobster named Ebirah. During the commotion, a slave girl named Daiyo manages to sneak away and runs into the boys.
They then find a cave where they hide out. But also in the cave is Godzilla, who is hibernating. They then try to head for the base to see if they can save the slaves, but their plans are thwarted and Ichino becomes a prisoner while Ryota gets caught in an observation balloon and drifts towards Infant Island where he is reunited with Yata. In the meantime, Ichino gets an idea to awaken Godzilla with lightning to not only distract the soldiers but to fight Ebirah.
What I Think About The Movie
my thoughts on this movie are The Red Bamboo and the entire sequence on the island I thoroughly enjoyed I especially like when the Islanders befriend Godzilla and scream to tell him to jump off the island. The all parts where the bomb is initially going to go off and to reach for it was intense and at same time it can be frustrated. The fight between Godzilla and Mothra was short and sweet it was pretty much Mothra smack Godzilla around and said I don’t have time for you right now I must take these Islanders and fly off the island because it’s going to sink. The fight sequences with Ebirah were cheesy but at the same time not so bad.
- Ebirah, is a gigantic, monstrous lobster that debuted in Godzilla vs. the Sea Monster (also known as Ebirah, Horror of the Deep or Godzilla, Mothra, Ebirah: Big Duel in the South Sea). In the movie, Ebirah is used as a watchdog by a terrorist organization called the Red Bamboo to make sure that nobody leaves or lands on Letchi Island, where their base is located. Ebirah did his job well, smashing ships and devouring anyone who made it out of the wrecks. Severely outclassed by Godzilla, Ebirah tried his best but eventually had both his claws ripped off by the reptile. Ebirah was seen again in Godzilla’s Revenge, and returned in Godzilla: Final Wars. He is seen, but unplayable in Godzilla: Save the Earth, a Playstation2 and Xbox game.
- The bad points about this movie I only have one thing to say in an authentically say it’s a bad thing but the twin fairies were only seen once in the entire Godzilla series and they are called Pair Bambi. My favorite priestesses are Emi Ito and Yumi Ito. They harmonize quite well. I think pretty much the movie itself is not the worst of the series but it is not the best.
- Positive points about the movie the scene where the Islanders are trapped producing the liquid it was quite colorful and there. The entire scene where Godzilla plays catch with a rock with Ebirah and the scene where Godzilla rips off his claw clasp together while Mothra flies by and he has this befuddled look as to why is she here I am confused. That was a semi-funny scene.
This movie at all is while extremes between the island exploding and sinking in the fight scenes with Godzilla and Ebirah along with the Mothra’s scenes were very colorful. This movie is not the worst of the Showa series is definitely a movie I would watch again it doesn’t bore me in the way that some movies do what is just too much to watch this is not like that.
Written by Barney Buckley